Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The March of the Mulch has begun!!

Yes, Finally!!  Too bad the March didn't start in March… but at least it squeaked in before May.

We are finally having a bit of Spring (though there's some snow in the forecast for tonight/tomorrow)…


So I'm finally able to (carefully) start cleaning and re-mulching… this was the first section I tackled… it has my "early risers" (Iris & Daffodil) and a few bushes the bunnies had been gnawing on...


These two lovey-dovey sweethearts were doing an elaborate and very tender mating ritual on the rail of our upper deck… so sweet!!


This Big Boy (a Pileated Woodpecker I named Woody) was making fast work of an old stump at the edge of our woods...


The Hosta's are already pushing out leaves...


My Iris are coming along nicely...


Jacob's Ladder is coming back in… Yeah!!  These were new last year - this section not yet cleaned, as if you couldn't tell...


The Day Lilly's are coming up like crazy, this is my patch of tall ones that are out by the Mailbox…

The usual songbirds are all back and singing up a storm… you'll get pictures of them when I catch them at the feeders (not yet)… We've had Chickadee, Nut Hatch, Black Eyed Junko, House Sparrow, Purple Finch, Goldfinch, Blue Jay, Cardinal, Dove, 3 different types of Woodpecker (we have 4 types in the area)… the Robins have been hopping around in the grass… the Geese have been honking as they fly overhead… the Eagle's Nest (about a mile away) has a pair ready to lay eggs…

The Bunnies & Squirrels are chasing each other all around the woods…

Yep… it's finally Spring!!  I just hope that the forecast is wrong & that we won't get any more snow… but at least I mulched the areas I cleaned, so the plants are somewhat protected...

No comments:

Post a Comment