Wednesday, June 13, 2012

And the beat goes on...

Work continues in the garden… planting, transplanting, weeding, trimming, putting in a brick edging…  and the garden continues to morph, after all it is a living entity…




My Spirea are growing & blooming like crazy, and need to be trimmed pretty regularly to keep them from bullying their neighbors…





My Day Lilies are popping out with blooms… these need constant dead-heading…




My new little Rosemary has taken to her spot in the garden…




My little Campanula is putting out more blossoms daily…




In other garden news… I've been using these Sweeney's Solar Powered Mole/Gopher spikes to keep away Moles (I have woods, therefore I will have Moles in the area) and they work beautifully… I've had mine for a couple years now, no batteries required, and I even had a couple survive being left in the ground over a Minnesota winter (oops).  My Mom tried these recently to deal with Gophers (she's in SoCal) and found they work great to keep them away as well… So now you have 2 recommendations, 1 from a person with lots of Moles in the area (me) and 1 from a person with lots of Gophers in the area (mom)…


Besides that there have been a couple garden problems… one of my Russian Sage had to be cut way back due to pest problems, it may not recover this year but shows signs of life… my sprouts went outdoors only to get hit first by unseasonably hot weather & then by hard rain, I think I may need to buy some seedlings instead (just back luck/timing)… I attempted to transplant my Ca Poppies & this appears to have been a bad idea (waiting to find out if they'll bounce back)… Oh well, as a novice I'm likely to make some mistakes, but at least I'm enjoying my garden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment