Thursday, June 14, 2012

New Friends...

I was in a "mood" yesterday and finally decided to deal with a couple problems in the garden…

Remember that Russian Sage that the bugs had attacked?  It was a garden favorite because it produced very large blooming stems that I loved putting in a large vase I set on the floor, but… it was a bit of a pain because it would grow too big for its location which was right next to the walkway to my front door… I had cut it way back, hoping it would live, and it did have new shoots - but they were coming up out of the ground away from the base of the main plant… that wasn't what I wanted…  I had gone back & forth about replacing or moving this plant over the years, just didn't want to part with her, but it was time to say goodbye - she'd become just a bit too much trouble…


This is my new friend who took her place, a little Aster that should have color that goes well in this garden area (she should have blue/purple flowers)… she's also lower to the ground & suits the spot in the garden better than her predecessor… I hope she likes it here!!


This is another Aster, this one should have pink blooms, this little girl seemed to fit a bare spot in the mound… so that's where she lives now… she should enjoy this relatively sunny spot.

In other garden news… the Ca Poppies didn't survive the transplant… so they've been yanked & replaced with some Petunias (I was going to take pictures this morning but its raining like crazy today)…  I'll just have to get some more Ca Poppy seeds, perhaps when I go to the MN State Fair later this summer (that's where I found them before)…  I loved my Poppies, they were bright & cheerful & were a sweet memory from childhood growing up in the San Diego area; but, they wanted to spread all over & I want to keep them contained.

Final news from the garden… my seedlings… well, they're dealing with more nasty weather today (threats of hail)… I figure I'm giving them until Friday evening to get their act together, if they don't I'll be picking up replacement plants on Saturday morning at the Farmer's Market… we shall see…

That's it for gardening news on this rainy day… now on to other blogging…


No comments:

Post a Comment