Thursday, June 7, 2012

a Big Project to solve a Big Problem

For quite a while I've been frustrated at the effort it takes to keep the lawn from invading my flower beds… and for quite a while I've wanted to do some sort of edging, but didn't know quite what…

I didn't want to hire someone to do this, its expensive & they likely wouldn't be careful around my plants (at least not as careful as I'd like them to be)…

But doing something myself involved overcoming some of my own limitations… I'm not a mason, I've never worked with concrete (helping Dad when I was a kid doesn't count)… I have strength limitations that come with having less muscle than a man, but also that come from some health issues…

I do have a decent eye, I can follow a line (even a curved line), have a sense for balance & structure…

I do have more time than the average gardener (retirement helps)…

Then I was at Menards (local hardware & garden store) the other day, and they had some brick-like pavers on sale for a very good price (33 cents each)… lots of colors to pick from… so I got enough of these bricks to put in 340' of edging where my flower beds meet my lawn… though about 30' of that are not on the edge but rather for dividing my mulched from non-mulched (for edibles) sections of my side garden.  After a couple days putting in some time I've got about 40' done… 


I've still got about 300' to go, but so far I really like the results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment