Monday, July 2, 2012

Happy Houseplant in the Garden...

There's a story behind this plant… This is one of two houseplants that I'd actually been able to keep alive (I'm terrible with houseplants), and I've had both for a long time… They had finally gotten too big for the house and were planted outside to have their final hurrah this Summer (not to worry, I'm starting clippings of both for new houseplants)…

I love the pink color on these blooms!!
I guess I should tell you the story of this houseplant… you see, I'm originally from Southern California, the San Diego area, and my Mom still lives in my childhood home in Vista… my Mom grows these plants (call it a Geranium or Pelargonium, either works) and hers easily get to about 5' in diameter and 4' high before she hacks them way back… So I guess I'm not surprised that this gal became a huge houseplant, even though my house indoors in Minnesota isn't an ideal growing spot (like my Mom's sunny yard in Vista)...

She's about 2' in diameter & about 3' high… and blooming like crazy!!

I started this plant from a small clipping I brought home with me on the plane after visiting my Mom, not exactly sure when that was, but at least a few years ago…  When I transplanted her this year she'd overgrown her (Very Large) pot & wasn't doing so well, and the transplant shocked her a bit too, so I can't tell you how thrilled I am to see her putting on lots of blooms… I'm going to start a couple clippings soon, she's got too many good memories of home to not keep her going… and perhaps next year one of her children will end up in this sunny spot in my garden, we shall see…

No comments:

Post a Comment