Thursday, August 9, 2012

Making New Friends...

Summer keeps moving along, and progress is happening on some fronts…

Beefeater Tomatoes… can't wait!!

Roma's too… Mmmm!!
My Tomatoes are finally starting to put out some fruit & I'm getting excited, they always taste so much better home grown!!


This little visitor is new & is likely a juvenile since its not very big & is all gray-green in color (we get Red Throated Hummingbirds in this part of the country & these were a bit on the small side).  Two different times I had one fly up & hover about 3 feet in front of my face, just looking at me, talk about exciting… they move so quickly that this shot was the best I could get (he/she was enjoying my honeysuckle)… I have a hummingbird feeder set up now, so I'm hoping they'll stick around, we'll see!


This guy at the feeder nearly had me thinking I had a new type of bird in the yard… this is a House Sparrow (which I've been told is actually a type of Finch) that just happens to be quite brightly colored & appeared a bit larger than the ones I usually see… a large colorful male.



Mallow, new this season, continues to put out blooms…


Jacob's Ladder, also new this season, is continuing to bloom…

The Mallow & Jacob's Ladder may get moved into other spots, they are doing well & could take over for other plants that aren't… but I kinda like them where they are… so I'm a bit torn...


This Phlox has been showing off lately… she's so happy I figured out what to use to keep the bunnies from eating her alive, and she's showing her appreciation by blooming like crazy…


I'm continuing to get pretty pink & white blooms from my Carnival Weigela… not as profuse as her early season bloom but nice...


The Bumble Bees are the reason why I'm torn about getting rid of my Veronica… she's a pretty girl, but temperamental… I've got 2 of my 3 that I'm ready to give up on… sometimes they get downright unsightly & my patience is wearing thin!


My Spirea are blooming again….


I'm glad to see the Spirea put out a nice second round of blooms… its always a shame that the blooms fade so quickly...


A sure sign that Fall is not far away, my tall decorative grasses have started to bloom… in a way I'm sad, I just didn't get everything done this year that I'd have liked, but at the same time I'm happy I don't have to keep up my garden all year round (I like getting a break)…

Another sign that Fall is coming sooner than we think: Perennial Sales!!


That's right, its finally gotten to that time in the season where the local garden centers are putting their plants on sale… just in time to get them in the garden to replace the naughty plants that I've decided need to go…  So I'm shifting gears just a bit, and working out what to get & where to locate them… hmmm…  Now that I've figured out what to do to keep my Phlox from getting eaten I'm going to plant a few new friends I found on sale… I like these happy flowers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment